When do I need to apply for a dog license?
For any new dogs that have received their first rabies vaccination or are new to the area licensing must occur within 30 days of moving to town/or getting the new dog.
Are there any fees or requirements?
To obtain a license you must submit a current Rabies Certificate and Spay / Neuter Certificate (if applicable) along with the license fee(s). Fees can be paid via check, cash, card, or online:
- $9.00 for spayed/neutered dog(s).
- $13.00 for intact dog(s).
- Licensing after the deadline will incur late fees: $2.00 (fixed) or $4.00 (intact).
When are dog licenses / renewals due?
Dog licenses are due every year by April 1st. If your dog is already registered, you will receive a renewal notice in early February each year.
How to obtain a new dog license or renew an existing license:
You can obtain a new dog license or renew an existing one in multiple ways:
- In-person. Register in-person at the Town Office during business hours.
- By mail. Mail the certificates & check for the fees to: P.O. Box 356, Montgomery Center, VT 05471.
- Drop-box. Submit the certificates & check for the fees into the outdoor drop-box located outside the Town Office.
- Electronically. Email or drop-box your paperwork & pay the fee online via our website: Under the “Residents” tab select “Make a Payment” select “Pay Taxes/Other” under the payment purpose fill in “Dog License.”
When will I receive my license and dog tags?
Registrations that are sent in via mail, drop-box, or online methods will receive the dog tag(s) and license(s) in the mail within 3-5 business days.
When are rabies clinics held?
Rabies Clinics are held every Spring (mid-to late March) at the Montgomery Fire Station with Stowe Veterinary Clinic providing vaccination services. On-site licensing services with the Town are also available at the clinic.
My dog passed away. What do I do?
If you have a dog that no longer lives with you or has passed away, please contact our offices to let us know.